Chris Dawson is an incredible horseman who, has a special talent for communicating with his horse, and currently sits top five in the NRCHA. In this episode he talks about how to not lie to your horse and how it makes everything simpler, horses that taught him to get out of the way, and letting your horse be themself. He also tells us about his superstitions at horse shows, from lucky underwear to eating beef.
- Keep all your thoughts positive. Don’t think about what could go wrong, but rather visualize exactly what you’re going to do to make it go well. And don’t skip any steps.
- Stay consistent, keep it simple, and don’t lie to your horse.
- If something is working, don’t change anything.
- [00:43] ] – Growing up training appaloosas, and the horses that did everything
- [02:39] – Are appaloosas different than quarter horses?
- [03:16] ] – Showing at the world show for the first time, and picking yourself up (literally) to finish your run
- [05:58] – Working for Todd Crawford and learning to get the potential out of a horse
- [08:57] – We all go off pattern eventually
- [10:50] – Dealing with your nerves and only visualizing the good things
- [13:19] – Work ‘em like you’re at home and keep it simple
- [13:35] – Why cowhorse is the epitome of horsemanship
- [14:47] – Building a relationship with your horse through consistency, and never lying to your horses
- [16:11] – Chris’ favorite event
- [16:39] – A great horse, Travelin Jonez who could read a cow all on his own
- [17:52] – Each horse has it’s own challenges, and mare that loved to show-off
- [19:01] – What is means to get out of your horse’s way, and a teaching moment about just that
- [20:33] – Consistency and honesty
- [20:48] – Learning from a horsewoman who defined the industry
- [21:43] – Horses as milestones, some of the ones that changed Chris’ career
- [23:15]} – Learning who your horse is and accepting them for who they are
- [24:09] – Chris’ favorite thing about horses
- [24:35] – & his training “superpower”. Ignoring the score and helping your horse be the best they can be
- [24:47] – Great advice from John Slack
- [26:11] – Horse show superstitions
- [28:01] – Don’t change something that works
- [28:21] – Self awareness. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses