Sarah Dawson is one of the leading riders in reined cow horse and currently sits top ten in the NRCHA. More than that, Sarah has an incredible horse sense and feel under the saddle. During our chat with Sarah, she tell us about her horse that loves peanut butter crackers, how getting started by working with problem horses shaped her views on riding today, how she keeps her cool in the show pen and how you can’t force success, what it was like to hit a world record, and how she applies her same skills to Three Day Eventing.
- Find ways to help your horse win, to build confidence and help them enjoy their jobs. Sarah uses cows to train many different maneuvers outside of the cow work, to help her horses have fun and feel confident.
- You can’t force wins and successes. Prepare yourself and your horse, then go out there and do what you’ve practiced like you are at home.
- Go spend as much time with horse people you respect as you can. It’s the best way to learn.
- [00:45 ] – How growing up with horses, a father who was a clinician and working with problem horse changes perspectives
- [4:27] – Getting started in reined cowhorse, and why Lyn Anderson thinks Sarah did it right
- [08:32] – What it’s like to find the feel
- [10:47] – Lessons from failing in the show pen, and fixing your mistakes before trying again
- [13:52] – Training horses is a lifestyle. You have to love it, have a good work ethic, and an even better partner
- [15:40] – A great horse that love peanut butter crackers
- [18:26] – Shiney Outlaw and what it was like to hit a world record
- [22:16] – What it means to have a gritty horse
- [23:13] – Dealing with nerves and mentally preparing for competition
- [26:43] – Synergies between Three Day Eventing and reined cow horse
- [28:05] – Sarah’s advice to people looking to improve as a horse person
- [29:44] – Setting a goal to get on the million dollar riders list
- [31:48] – What to look for in a special horse
- [32:33] – Letting your horse win and building confidence
- [35:03] – Why horses are so great
- [36:53] – Why the cowhorse industry is so great
- [38:53] – The best advice given as a horsewomen
- [40:38] – Where you will see Sarah next